Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Weather is Neat.

Let's pretend I've updated more since the end of summer and that the snow out there doesn't really exist. It's still fall you guys, right?! Thanksgiving? What is that?!

To be completely honest, life since my last update has been overrun with stress and work and more stress and more work... and then maybe a few much needed nights spent with friends, good dancing music, and cold drinks that makes you feel warm on the inside. Which is why HURRICANE SANDY couldn't have come at a better time. Sick, sleep-deprived and nostalgic for the South, I was absolutely giddy with excitement for this hurricane. And it did not disappoint. Wind! Rain! Bonding with friends! More sleep than I could ever dream of! Luckily our neighborhood remained incredibly safe and dry. Other places not so much. One of the eeriest things I have experienced has been walking down to the East River as Sandy only quietly roared, Brooklyn streets virtually peopleless and half of Manhattan in darkness. Manhattan! That shining beacon of life transfixed into a visual ghost town.



My office, however, is in a prime Zone A location and has been majorly affected by flooding and the Great Manhattan Blackout. Oh and hey, the L train, my lifeline to the city, is the only train not back up and running. After being closed for over a week, our office finally opened for business yesterday afternoon, and I found some way to get there that didn't involve swimming or submarines. Except there is no heat. Something that wouldn't be too bad if New York were not suddenly being pummeled by WINTER STORM ATHENA. (I want to say again how awesome the winter storm name list is. Haven't seen it? Go look it up. And hope for the sake of all things comedic we make it to Winter Storm Gandalf.) It's snowing outside, you guys. SNOWING?!!


And I am cuddling up under blankets as I work from home, grinning like an idiot and having flashbacks to my childhood Christmases spent up North with my family. Funny since a week ago I was acting out a similar scene but with memories of Katrina and Gustav. In the past two weeks we've had a crazy loud Southern storm jumbled up next to a nice peaceful Northern storm. And I can't ignore the parallels to my own life. The weather might just understand what it's like to be a Christine.


No comments:

Post a Comment