Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for...


 Ice cream!!!! (Yes. I was one of those annoying kids who sang that ALL the time.)

The Setup
I figured that since fall officially started this weekend, it was about time I shared my summer project. It all started this list. At the beginning of June the Village Voice posted a list of their top 10 Ice Creams in NYC, and from there two of my equally sweet-toothed friends and I set out on a quest to eat them all before summer ended. Ice cream structured our free time and gave it a purpose, often leading to sugar-fueled giggle fits and other adventures. It made bad days better and our weekdays more exciting. It brought other friends into our schemes. It gave us a reason to travel to parts of the city (mostly in Brooklyn) we had never been to or didn't really have a reason explore. And now I have a plethora of options to take friends and visitors to!

The Ice Cream
(In order of appearance)

#1 Victory Garden - Cantaloupe Sorbet + Salted Caramel Soft Serve- Goat's milk soft serve that was light, interesting and refreshing.

#2 BKLYN Larder - Almond Gelato + Unnamed Ice Cream Sandwich - Millions of delicious flavors arrayed before your eyes. Too bad the shop is located in an out of the way location or else I'd be taking home pints from here all the time.

#3 Sundaes and Cones - Lavender + (I can't remember) - Reasonably priced, conveniently located, and the only place to sell floral ice cream!! A favorite of mine ever since my Leopold's days in Savannah.

#4 Big Gay Ice Cream Shop - Bea Arthur + American Globs - The soft serve itself is okay. I'd only go again for the novelty and upbeat atmosphere.

#5 Ample Hills - Nanatella + Mexican Chocolate Milkshake + Mint Chocolate - This one wins the chewiest award. It was dense and delicious, but not very creamy. I loved the flavor assortment though!

#6 Van Leewan - Cinnamon + Strawberry + Hazelnut - The old standby. Having a Van Leeuwan truck inside my workplace and running into the truck everywhere, means I've had this several times. Their ice cream never disappoints though.

#7 Momofuku Milk Bar - Cereal Milk - We weren't a fan. Please don't throw shoes at us. it just tasted like really cold milk. but I'm very eager to try the new Blueberry Pancake flavor.

#8 Blue Marble - Strawberry + Vanilla - Hands down the best strawberry ice cream I have had in my life, creamy and intense.

#9 Sky Ice - Chocolate Brownie + Raspberry Cilatro/Thai Iced Tea - I was sad to get there at 7pm on a weeknight to find they had sold out of about half of their flavors. Including some of the more special/thai-themed ones.

#10 Steve's - Sundae Morning + Bklyn Blackout - Too sweet. Too rich. Too much.

That's all folks! We had so much fun with this list that there just might be more in our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment